Jim Carrey’s commencement speech given at Maharishi University has found popularity through the web over the past couple of years. With nearly one billion YouTube views, Carrey’s message about overcoming fear, and finding your path reached more than just Maharishi University’s 2014 graduating class.
Here are 7 quotes in Carrey’s speech that inspired me:
- “So many choose a path out of fear disguised as practicality. What we really want seems impossibly out of reach and ridiculous to expect so we don’t ask the universe for it.”
- “You can fail at what you don’t want so you might as well take a chance to fail on what you love.”
- “The effect you have on others is the most valuable currency there is, because everything you gain in life will rot and fall apart and all that will be left of you is what is left in your heart.”
- “Your need for acceptance can make you invisible in this world. Don’t let anything get in the way of the light that shines through this form. Risk being seen in all of your glory.”
- “My soul is not contained in the limitedness of my body. My body is contained in the limitedness of my soul.”
- “Let the universe know what you want, working toward it while letting go of how it comes to pass.”
- “Take a chance on faith. Not religion, but faith. Not hope, but faith. I don’t believe in hope, hope is a beggar. Hope walks through the fire and faith leaps over it.”
You can see the entire speech here.